Sunday, June 12, 2022

Chapter Five

 

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Elaine is such a good mother. Betty had also grown up into quite a cute little girl. She doesn't like having to share a room with her little brother though, and I don't blame her. 


One day we received the sad news that Elaine's father had passed away. Elaine was devastated, even though she had grown less close to her father after his dalliance with a much younger woman. We were both heartbroken that he had never gotten the chance to meet his grandchildren. Now it was too late.


I tried to cheer my wife up with a little playful snowman building, but it only took her mind off things for a short while. I'd often find her crying softly to herself. I knew she just needed time. 

 

Time also provided a distraction in the form of our third child, another boy, whom we decided to name Thomas or Tommy as we call him. 

Betty was less than pleased. "Now there are two noisy babies in my room!" she complained.

"I know sweetie, but it won't be forever. Papa's working on adding an extra room to the house."

"Do it faster!"

"Dad, why are we so poor?"

I was shocked by the question. "Sweet pea, what do you mean?"

"Kids at school seem to have a lot more. They have their own bedrooms and their houses are much bigger than ours."

"That may be true, but the size of the house isn't what matters, baby. It's the family inside it that counts and whether that family is full of love."

Betty seemed to digest this for a bit, but she finally smiled at me.

NO. WHY? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO OFFEND GOD AND COUNTRY?

Ahem, but yes, we were robbed again. And the police were no use. Again. I was almost out of my mind with anger and frustration. You'll notice they took our gramophone. I bought another one, a THIRD one, to replace it. 


It wasn't long before our youngest son Thomas was growing up into a cute little guy with gingerish hair.

James, my eldest son, soon grew into his childhood years. He is a quiet sort but always very helpful around the house and kind to his siblings. He also seems very concerned about nature and the environment. I like to think that's his old dad rubbing off on him.


I was glad to see that our children got along well. Betty had grown more used to having younger siblings, especially now that only one of them was a toddler. She seemed especially close with James.


Did you know that it's almost impossible to get children to sit still for a photograph? Well, it is! This is the best we could do and photographs aren't exactly cheap you know. Elaine was feeling too ill at the time unfortunately. Maybe we'll be able to get a better photograph of the entire Hart family together soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Twelve

  Mom and Dad are still madly in love. Honestly, I can only aspire to have a relationship as great as theirs one day. Thomas grew up into a ...