Thursday, June 16, 2022

Chapter Seven

Fishing at the Hatchery continues to be efficient and profitable. I'm still amazed by the fish they have there, even swordfish!


Tommy is older now and a very distinguished little gentleman.


Aha! Now I won't need to borrow my granddad's shotgun and go hunting. I was finally able to save up enough money to have a fence installed around the garden. A very wise investment.


But just when we'd spent all our money on the fence, we learned that Elaine was pregnant again even though we both agreed Thomas would be our last. It wasn't planned at all and with Elaine getting older we were sure she wouldn't be able to have any more children, but life has a way of proving you wrong.


With our family getting even larger, it was time to expand the house as much as we could. Through several opportunities that arose to sell our produce to local business owners, we were able to afford a second floor, although it isn't finished for now.


Elaine still helps out in the garden. She says the fresh air is refreshing and good for the baby. I worry that she exerts herself too much, but she doesn't seem worried.


With the basic plants I have doing so well, I thought it would be a good idea to try and find more exotic species of plants. So I've been hunting around town looking for seeds. Riverview is so picturesque. I'm really glad I picked Riverview when looking for a place to live all those years ago.


Rudy, Elaine's half-brother, the son of her father and his much younger girlfriend, is now a teenager. Elaine is nearly an elder, and her half-brother is still in high school! I've nothing against him personally though. It's not his fault, and he seems like a decent young man.


Elaine enjoys spending time with him when she can, which isn't often. She's always been so family-oriented, and that includes her family of origin, half-brothers included.


James' birthday was coming up, but he had a special ceremony right before. He was so proud to receive several shiny new scouting badges. I can't say I was any less proud.


Jamie is a serious young man, but he still retains his kind heart. I fear he is a bit over-sensitive sometimes though and will take things to heart a little too much. I just hope some young lady doesn't end up breaking his heart one day.


We're about to have two teenagers, a child, and now a baby in the house! Elaine is worried that our youngest child won't be close to his older siblings because of the age gap. I know Betty at least will be very attentive to her baby brother.


And yes, it is a boy! Three sons, a father couldn't be any prouder. We decided to name our youngest Samuel. I get the feeling he is going to be a bit of a handful. Elaine thinks I'm nuts, but sometimes a parent just has an intuition...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Twelve

  Mom and Dad are still madly in love. Honestly, I can only aspire to have a relationship as great as theirs one day. Thomas grew up into a ...