Saturday, May 28, 2022

Chapter One

 

Welcome to From the Hart: A Differences in the Family Tree Story. Meet your founder, Henry Hart. In a moment, I will let Henry take over his story, but I thought you might want to know a little more about him first. He represents the 1920s and his generation is all about living off the land. His lifetime wish is to have the perfect garden. His traits are Friendly, Hopeless Romantic, Loves the Outdoors, Angler, and Natural Cook. Here are the goals for his generation:

  • Date/Marry girl/guy with Loves Outdoors and/or Green Thumb and/or Angler

  • No Woohoo before Marriage

  • Get Married

  • Have both Boy and Girl (NOTE! You can adopt other gender after first child to complete objective)

  • No Watermelons/Apples to sway gender of child

Farmer
  • Master Gardening Skill

  • Plant Every Plant from Grocery Store

  • Obtain all Plants/Seeds

  • If you get call for learning Steak, Egg, Cheese, Omni plant, complete it.

Fisher
  • Master Fishing Skill

  • Catch All Fish (without traveling)

Dear Journal:

Henry here, Henry Hart of course. I've just moved to the quaint town of Riverview. My folks passed on not too long ago, leaving me a bit of money, just enough to buy my own small plot of land with a cozy little cottage. It's all I've ever wanted though. Since I was a young boy, I've lived almost my whole life outdoors, just soaking up the sun and taking in the natural world. All I want to do is live off the land and raise a family. 

 One of the first things I did after moving into town was to check out the local fishin' spots. If I'm going to grow myself a garden large enough to raise a family, I've got to practice my anglin' skills. There's nothing better than fish to fertilize a garden. I was delighted to learn that Riverview has a wonderful little fish hatchery place not too far from my new house.

Golly, Riverview sure is beautiful. Just look at that clear blue water and the green hills in the distance. I can definitely see myself settling down here. Now all I need to find is a wife...although to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to do that. I'm a nice enough fellow I suppose, but the women folk haven't exactly been knocking down my door.


So much can change before you know it though. I bumped into this lovely lady named Elaine Joy at the Riverview Community Garden, which is of course another one of my favorite places in town. It seemed like destiny was smiling kindly on me.


As you can see, I think she was receptive to my advances. I don't want to get too cheesy, but I think it was love at first sight, right there next to the hydrangeas and cherry blossoms. I'll never forgot that first day.


It turns out Elaine is no stranger to the farming life. Her papa owns his own barn and small plot of land right here in Riverview. She wants nothing more than the simple things out of life as well. I can't believe a guy like me can get so lucky.


Life isn't all romance though. If I'm to provide for Elaine and our future children, I have to learn how to grow a big enough garden to feed us all. That takes a lot of hard work. I've had more than my share of sunburnt necks and dirt I never can seem to get rid of underneath my fingernails.


When we're not together, all I can think about is still Elaine. I want to make her my wife. I want to spend the rest of my life with her, but I know I have to do it right. I have to court her properly and ask her daddy's permission for her hand in marriage. 


It wasn't too long before Elaine was moving in to my little cottage. Now don't you go getting the wrong idea. There was no extracurricular activities going on, things that are meant to be enjoyed only by a married couple. I would never disrespect Elaine that way, but it was just easier for her to move in when she did as she wanted to help me with the garden.


Kissing is still allowed before marriage, just sayin'.


My little garden was starting to come along nicely. It's a lot of work, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I can't wait to be completely self-sustaining and independent.


Elaine and I really are a match made in heaven. It turns out her dream is to be a chef and learn as many recipes as she can. So I'll grow the food, and she'll be cooking it up into delicious new recipes! 


Elaine is even more of a green thumb than I am! She regularly talks to the plants. I think it's a little odd, but she tells me it helps them grow faster. Who am I to argue with her?


We were settling down into a life of farming and domestic bliss. There was really only one thing left to do...


"Elaine Joy, will you make me the happiest man alive and be my wife?" I asked. I'd never been more nervous in my whole life, I can tell you. 

Luckily for me, she said yes. 

----


Here are Elaine's stats. I forgot to take a snip of Henry's, but I will for next time!



 


 


 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Twelve

  Mom and Dad are still madly in love. Honestly, I can only aspire to have a relationship as great as theirs one day. Thomas grew up into a ...