Monday, May 30, 2022

Chapter Two

Time with Elaine just flies by I swear. I will always treasure these memories of our courtship, celebrating summer at the festival, holding hands on the roller skating rink and falling on my bottom more times than I care to admit. Elaine was always there to help me back up when I fell though.

We had ourselves an amazing time and even got our photograph taken if you can believe it. It turned out amazing. It's something I think we'll treasure the rest of our lives. Also, don't believe any nonsense about throwin' like a girl, because Elaine sure has a mean arm on her, and she definitely won that water balloon fight. 

Just when things were settling down into normal, we had a scare. Someone broke into our home! It terrified Elaine; she's very peaceful and gentle by nature. I can't say I wasn't any less scared either, but I was also just furious, furious that someone had the gall to steal our things, to make us feel unsafe in our own home.

Fury won out over fear, and I almost chased that no good burglar down, but I remembered Elaine was waiting frightened in the bedroom and knew I couldn't leave her. The police showed up, but it was too late. They stole our gramophone! I inherited it from my parents so the loss especially stings. Elaine comforted me and reminded me we'll likely get a new gramophone as a wedding gift.

Speaking of the wedding, I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. We had a small, private ceremony at the gazebo in town. Elaine was stunning in her lace dress. I wore my best vest and shirt for the occasion. 


As long as she is my wife, I'll be the happiest man on Earth.

Remember how I said we had never gotten up to anything extracurricular during our courtship? Well, now that we were finally married, I think we were both excited to do the next part. We ran out of the park so fast that the lady that had been watching our wedding so intently probably thought we'd gone crazy. Apparently the old lady's name is Spenster. I think she might be jealous, and that makes me feel real sorry for her. I hope she finds love too.

Elaine was right. Her daddy bought us a new gramophone as a wedding gift. 

Waiting until marriage was worth it, I must say. There's no one else I'd rather be with than my Elaine. We're both excited to take the next step and start a family. With my garden coming along, I know that I'll be able to support us. Elaine quit her job at the diner so she can stay home full time. 
 

It didn't take long before Elaine started feeling sick to her stomach. We were both pretty sure what that meant, but we also didn't want to get our hopes up too early.

Elaine has been a tremendous help with the garden. With her green thumb, we get the work done in half the time!

Of course I also spend about half my time fishing. Fish make pretty great fertilizer after all, and there's nothing better than a home cooked meal with a fish you just caught yourself. Also, I never get tired of the views. Riverview is a pretty little town that's for sure.

It was late one night when Elaine gave me the good news. I was going to be a father! At first I was so shocked I didn't even know how to respond. It didn't help that I was also pretty sick at the time with the flu and had just got done sneezing when she told me.

"I am so excited! I can't wait to raise a big family with you, Elaine."
 
"I feel the same way, Henry."
 
Oddly enough I hoped it was a girl. I knew that I'd only be able to pass my inheritance down to my firstborn son like my pop did with me, but I wanted a daddy's little girl to spoil and love first. Elaine surprised me by wishing for a boy first thing. Well, we're about to find out who gets their wish, unless it's twins. Golly, could you imagine? 
 
--
 
I hope you're enjoying the story so far. :) It's fun to write as Henry. I hope I've succeeded in giving him his own voice. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter Twelve

  Mom and Dad are still madly in love. Honestly, I can only aspire to have a relationship as great as theirs one day. Thomas grew up into a ...